You can use any mix of nuts, seeds and sulphate free dried fruits in this mix. Nuts can of course be left out for an allergy and school friendly version.
3 cups coconut flakes
2 cups seeds – pumpkin/pepita, sunflower, hemp, flaxseeds
2 cups nuts – almonds, cashews, macadamias
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup sulphate free dried fruit – goji berries, dried cranberries, chopped dates, dried pineapple chunks
1/3 cup cacao nibs or dark choc chips (optional)
1-2T coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 85C & line two large trays with baking paper. This needs to be baked slowly on a low temperature so as to not burn and keep in the goodness. This can also be done in a heavy based fry pan in a low heat.
- Combine coconut flakes, nuts and seeds into a large bowl and stir in the coconut oil and cinnamon, mixing well.
- Bake for around 10 – 15 minutes until the coconut flakes start to turn golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the tray for about an hour.
- Sprinkle with goji berries & cacao nibs & store the trail mix in an airtight container.